PI Data Archive Overview
: PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 is no longer available for download. PI Data Archive 2016 R2 continues to be the current released version. For details, read Release Announcement RL01245 and Alert AL00326.
The PI Data Archive is a component of the PI Server that provides efficient storage and archiving of time series data enabling high performance data retrieval by client software. Traditionally, the PI Data Archive was referred to as the "PI Server" but because the PI Server
itself has incorporated so many new capabilities, including data modeling and analytics, it is now much more than just a data archive!
The PI Data Archive includes a few new exciting enhancements and features with the 2017 SP1 release. The list of features and enhancements included in PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 are:
- PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 collective members now communicate securely with one another using certificates with Transport Layer Security (TLS). With PI Data Archive 2017 SP1, PI Collective Manager provides ways to manage certificates for collectives, including importing your own certificate.
- System-wide transport security is now supported by the PI System. OSIsoft now offers secure data transport at every layer. The following components are the minimum versions required to obtain complete system-wide transport security:
- PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 (if you are not using collectives, PI Data Archive 2015)
- PI AF Client 2015
- PI SDK 126.96.36.1994
- PI API 2016 for Windows Integrated Security
- PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 greatly improves archive resiliency which prevents archive corruption and data loss from occurring under certain stress scenarios.
PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 is the most secure version released to date and recommended for all customers. Additionally, PI Data Archive 2017 SP1 leverages Microsoft software security defenses provided by the compiler and operating system. Due to its tight integration with the operating system, we regularly perform tests against the newly released Microsoft Security Patches. For more information, please visit the MS Security Patch Compatibility
See System Manager Resources
for links to useful documentation and utilities, as well as tip sheets highlighting important tasks and issues that most System Managers encounter.